Friday, September 11, 2009

More Dracula on Broadway

As has been mentioned before, Edward Gorey's Dracula can easily become a complete Gorey collecting sub-category unto itself. There are theater programs, advertising, photographs, posters (pictured right), tee-shirts, mouse pads, and even bed sheets!

One of the more unusual Dracula products was a line of Dracula Damask Wall Paper that was produced by Kirk-Brummel. To the left, I am showing an ad for the wallpaper. The ad has all the elements which were used in the show including the touch of red that was a signature device in each act of the show. I have a three foot section of the wall paper which I have framed (right photo). Apparently, the paper came with a moire pattern (see example in ad) and plain. The example I own is plain.

The poster for the show has the distinctive image of Dracula about to pounce on Miss Lucy. This image is an iconic Edward Gorey image which has all the elements of a classic Gorey image. The drawing for the poster was reproduced as a jig-saw puzzle, once again with the distinctive red touch to enliven the scene (pictured below).

Several actors succeeded Frank Langella in the title role of the play on Broadway and on tour. I had the good fortune to have seen the original tour of Dracula. Martin Landau was the star when it came to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. I remember how stunning and distinctive the sets were for the production. It is interesting to note that Martin Landau later went on to portray Bela Lugosi in the 1994 movie Ed Wood and won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in the role. He must have been warming up in the tour of Dracula!

8 comments:

Bloglion said...

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this is the first time anyone has put up a picture of this online (much less talked about it at length). Finally!

I too have an unflocked piece of this. I've been meaning to get it framed for at least 12 years, but it's so large that I've always balked at the price. Now at least I've a good idea of what it will look like. Can you tell me what sort of backing it has? Since it's wallpaper, I was always concerned about the type of mounts proposed. Thanks.

pursuit agent said...

I'd love a scan of that to make it the wallpaper for my computer...any chance of providing a closer shot of that pattern so I could see the details better?

ampootozote said...

I can try to shoot a photo, but since it is framed under glass it may not come out very well...email me directly at ampootozote@aol.com and I will see what I can do.

ampootozote said...

The wall paper is not glued down to a backing. It is mounted with archival linen tape tabs at the top and is held in place by the mat around the sides. It puckers slightly, but it works quite well.

If you were to mount it, have it professionally dry mounted onto a piece of acid free foam core. Any good framer should be able to do this.

The piece I have came from a roll (or two) that were found at Gotham in storage, cut into 3' square sections and sold as individual pieces. The example I have is plain. I have still never seen an example of the Moire in person - just pictured in the ad. It is possible that the roll(s) of wall paper found at Gotham which were cut up and sold to collectors was a sample roll and that the paper for sale was always Moire. To add the Moire would have been one more step in the printing process. There has been talk over the years of reprinting this paper, but I doubt that it would happen.

Sharman Prince said...

I wish that more photographs of the Broadway designs (and even Nantucket) were available. Gorey's set has to be amongst the most striking ever seen on stage and it's a pity that there is so little on the actual designs themselves other than the re-drawn toy theatre (which is an obvious over-simplification).

SJ Ballinger said...

I know this is an old post but hope you still look at this sometimes. I have been trying to locate photos of the b'way production, particularly the costumes. It's a shame that there are no photos that show the richness of the productions. Since posting this have you been able to find any production photos?

SJ Ballinger said...

I too have been looking for photos of the stage productions, particularly the costumes. have you found any since making these posts?

ampootozote said...

I am always looking for new photos...there have been quite a few 8 x 10 press photos featuring various leading actors which have been turning up lately at on-line auctions of late...these things go in spurts! I have not been bidding on the photos, so I cannot provide any other images.